Parking lots, trails, and restrooms are open!
BEWARE: Check your surroundings for poison oak and Ticks
River Walk Trail:
- The River Walk trail is open
Wetlands Walk Trail:
- Wetlands walk trail is open
- Boardwalk trail is open
Please keep in mind that the bridges going over Willow Slough can become very slippery when wet or icy. Please walk slowly and with caution.
Additionally, the trails can become flooded after a rain storm. This page is updated bi-weekly, so it may not reflect the most current information. Check weather before heading out to the Preserve.
Sandhill Cranes and Other Migratory Birds
Cranes are currently NOT at the Preserve.
Sandhill cranes begin to arrive in late September/early October.
You’ll likely start seeing them in the wetlands near the trails in mid-October.
The height of the Sandhill crane season is December. During the month of February and early March cranes will likely be leaving in groups. By mid-March they are generally gone.
To view a map of common places to view cranes at Cosumnes River Preserve, click here.
The ponds in the wetlands are flooded on a rotational basis to meet the needs of migrating waterfowl. To learn more about flooding and managed wetlands, click here.
The Visitor Center is open on most weekdays. The Preserve trails, parking lots, and boat launch are still OPEN. For hours and information click here.
When recreating, we recommend you follow local and CDC guidelines.
- If you or someone you live with are sick, please stay at home.
- Cover your cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands frequently, before and after entering the Preserve. If you can, please bring your own hand sanitizer.
- Try to limit touching railings and other surfaces that others may touch if not necessary.
- Keep a distance in the parking lots, at the restrooms, and on the trails of at least 6 feet from all others around you. Also, please pass people on the trail with caution. Move over to the side or turn from them when you pass.
- Follow all Preserve rules. You can find them HERE.
- Have a backup plan: if the Preserve seems crowded or parking lots are full, look for another place to go or come back another day.
- You can find more about COVID-19 on the CDC website HERE.